10 Things To Expect When You Move To Rockford
If you or your family were to move to Rockford what should you expect?
That question was posed on Reddit by Subhuehuehue yesterday. "I got an offer for a position in Rockford. I'm from Pennsylvania and haven't had any exposure to the area."
He also says "I'm mostly interested in finding out the best places to live and where the fun city centers are."
As the unofficial Rockford welcoming committee, here are 10 things you can expect when you move to town.
1. Expect to turn the wrong way on a one-way street.
Downtown has many one-way streets. If you're new to town, there's a very good chance you'll end up turning the wrong way down one of them.
2. Expect Rockford drivers to have difficulty with roundabouts.
There are only a few roundabouts in Rockford but inexplicably we have a tough time using them correctly.
3. Expect to follow the IceHogs.
The Rockford IceHogs hockey team is the minor league team for the Chicago Blackhawks. Many current Blackhawks have started their career in Rockford.
4. Expect to try all the pizza.
The amount of pizza in Rockford is ridiculous. Not that it's a bad thing, actually quite the opposite. There are so many different pizza places in Rockford to try that it could take years to get to them all.
5. Expect Rockford to be named on some "bad" lists.
Pro tip: Shake it off and try to make Rockford a great place to live for everyone.
6. Expect to get real familiar with Cheap Trick.
They're in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and Rockford's favorite sons. If you don't know Cheap Trick's music, learn now.
7. Expect to fall into a pothole.
Not you specifically, but your car. The long, cold and snowy midwestern winters create some serious potholes in Rockford. Speaking of...
8. Expect to stay indoors during winter months.
If you enjoy the snow and cold, disregard the earlier statement.
9. Expect to be outdoors during summer months.
If you only enjoy the snow and cold, disregard the above statement too.
10. Expect to wear long sleeves in June and shorts in October.
While it's normally cold in the winter and hot in the summer, there are times when you won't know what type of clothing to wear. The best advice would be to wear layers.
Top This! The Search For Rockford’s Best Pizza