It looked like a bomb went off, as a natural gas explosion destroyed a home and damaged as many as 50 other homes in Marengo this past weekend.

Unfortunately, for residents of a Stateline home in Marengo, the worst possible outcome was realized. The good news is the owners of the home were not at home at the time of the blast.

A gas leak destroyed a home in Marengo at 4;55 a.m. on Sunday morning, as the owners of the residence were away on vacation.

WGN-TV reports that the only thing left of that home is part of the wall stuck in a tree.

The blast blew out windows and walls, and ignited nearby homes. Neighbors rushed in to help a family of four trapped in their house that caught fire.

Catch Mark Charvat on Q98.5 from 3 p.m to 7 p.m.. Follow him on Twitter, and Facebook