Brain-eating Amoeba Kills Woman Who Rinsed Sinuses With Tap Water
I Neti, do you Neti? I am regularly running a nasal rinse to deal with my dust allergies. This warning freaked me out.
A 69-year-old Seattle woman died after having brain surgery to treat an infection and it's where doctors believe that infection entered her body that has my skin crawling. Her doctors believe it was the tap water she used in her Neti pot, a product used to flush out nasal passages (pictured below), that led to the infection, according to fox32chicago.com.
"amoeba all over the place just eating brain cells."
The comment above was made by her doctor, when speaking with The Seattle Times. The tap water she used when she would rinse her sinuses was how doctors believe the brain-eating amoebas entered her body. These cases are rare but it can happen again.
You may be wondering how you can drink this same water and not get infected, and that's a great question. Our stomach acid would kill these brain-eating amoebas.
If you have to rinse your sinuses using a Neti pot, or similar device, it is suggested that you use only distilled, sterile or previously boiled water.