Helpful Tips When Talking to Your Kids About Las Vegas Shooting
A sad, surreal, anxiety ridden kind of day. The deadliest mass shooting in modern American history. And why? For what?
We probably won’t have answers for quite awhile, if ever. It’s sometimes a tough choice to turn on the TV when you have children because we don’t want to send our kids off to school worrying about a shooting. I think this is a common theme among parents, trying to shelter our children from the harsh realities that our world often throws at us. So how do you talk about this sensitive subject, or similar ones, with them? I found this article from abcnews.go.com very helpful.
Here are some of the highlights:
- Talk to your children about the shooting before they hear it somewhere else.
- Explain to them that the shooter was caught and is no longer a threat.
- Check in on them to see how they are doing and if they heard anything new at school or saw anything on social media.
- Talk to them about what you do at home to keep them safe and how our community stays safe.
- If your child is having a really hard time with the shooting, never hesitate to reach out for help from professionals.
I hope this helps. Always speak from your heart