September 11th is a National Day of Service and Remembrance
September 11th. The day that we will never forget. It's hard to believe it's been 16 years. I can still remember the exact moment I found out.
It was like all American's were stabbed in the gut that day and something was ripped away from us that we will never get back. Many lost their lives that day, and in the days following. You may not know that over 3,000 children were also born that day and will be turning sixteen September 11th. Last year there was a video released about these kids in an effort to get people to do good deeds on September 11th, to stop fostering bad thoughts about the day, and instead facilitate good. It's pretty cool and you can check it out here.
Let's do it Rockford! Everyone do one good deed today. Here are a few ideas if you are in need.
- Bring your co-worker a coffee or buy them lunch.
- Pay for the person behind you in line.
- Take your child to school instead of having them ride the bus.
- Buy your wife or significant flowers.
- Drop a bottle of wine off at a friend's house.
- Take your kids for ice cream after school.
- Mow your neighbor's lawn, or make them cookies.
- Plant a tree.
- Make your elderly parents dinner.
- Donate to a charity.
- Volunteer somewhere.
- Rescue an animal from a shelter.
- Donate clothes to Goodwill.
- Write a letter to someone in the Armed Forces.
- Give up your first class seat to someone who may need it more.
- Send a text to an old friend you haven't talked to in awhile.
- Leave a big tip for your waiter, hair stylist, massage therapist, etc.
- Offer to babysit for a friend or sibling.
- Shop local and support the community.
There are so many ways you can help others. This is just the tip of the iceberg. I can't wait to see what you come up with.