The Moments You Find Out Who Your Real Friends Are
What is the meaning of a friend? What they do and when they do it. The dictionary may define it differently than you, I surely did.
The definition of friend, according to the dictionary is: a person whom one knows and with whom one has a bond of mutual affection, typically exclusive of sexual or family relations.
I have my own definition of a friend. You see, I have been through some difficult months lately. And there have been a few people who have really been there for me. This has me really thinking about my friendships and what they really mean to me. This has also made me check my own self to make sure I'm being a good friend to other people in my life.
To me, a friend is
- Someone who listens.
- Someone who doesn't judge.
- Someone who sees the best in you even when you can't see it.
- Someone who may not see it the way you see it, but will always support you.
- Someone who makes time for you.
- Someone who is happy for you when they see you find happiness.
- Someone who rejoices with you when you overcome a challenge, but will also encourage you to keep trying when you don't.
- Someone who sees your imperfections but loves you anyway.
- Someone who forgives you when you make a mistake(s).
- Someone who understands that sometimes life gets in the way and you may be too busy to hang out.
- Someone you can laugh with until all the moisture has been removed from your mouth. So hard that you start crying.
- Someone who loves you unconditionally.
Yes, this is a big definition. And maybe that's why I don't have a large circle of friends. Because these kind of people are hard to come by. But when you find them, you hold on. And those friendships last a lifetime. So if you have one (or several) of these friends, make sure you show them some love today.