Unpopular Opinion: Rockford’s Symbol Is An Eyesore
Why are Rockfordians so dang proud of the “symbol”? Nobody even knows what it is or what it’s supposed to resemble. That color, too. Is it red? Is it orange? I asked a newly transplanted Rockford resident about Symbol's color and their reply was, “rust…?” That answer got me thinking, did someone select that color so if “symbol” were to rust nobody would be able to tell?
Let’s be honest and call it what is it – a massive eyesore. It’s hard to imagine no other ideas coming up in that meeting about what to toss in that spot. I mean, I can come up with five off the top of my fingertips.
- A giant screw (to honor Rockford’s manufacturing heritage.)
- A massive sculpture of Rick Nielsen’s 5-neck guitar.
- How about a tall working clock?
- A giant sock monkey with a “This Is Rockford” sign.
- Or, since Rockford is the Forest City, an incredibly tall and big tree.
When it comes down to it there are plenty of other options that can represent Rockford along the Rock River. Surely I can’t be the only person willing to admit Rockford’s symbol is an eyesore. Agree or disagree? Let me know on Twitter.