25 Days of Desserts: Chocolate Wine Cupcakes [VIDEO]
Wine and cupcakes go together very well, and when you put wine inside cupcakes, it's even more amazing.
Cupcakes are a special dessert. They're individual, they're decorative, you can even hide things inside, and you know what else? You can make them with wine.
Last night I made these cupcakes and had to eat one five minutes after they came out of the oven.
To be fair, I ate this one because it was oddly shaped, but it was amazing. These might be the best chocolate cupcakes I've ever made in my life. Knowing there's Pinot Noir in them helped too!
They do take a few minutes more than your average cupcake, but it's so worth it.
The recipe comes from We Are Not Martha. I chose to make mine with Pinot Noir, but you can use any red wine to make them. You can also choose any frosting you like. I'm going to frost them with the cream cheese recipe from their site, but honestly they don't need any frosting at all and they're still delicious.
For 24 cupcakes:
- 1/2 C unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 oz. chocolate chips
- 1/2 C boiling water
- 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 C sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/4 C flour
- 1 1/2 t baking powder
- 1 t salt
- 3/4 C red wine
- In a heatproof bowl combine cocoa powder and chocolate chips and pour in the boiling water.
- Using a whisk, stir the chocolate until it’s all melted.
- In a larger bowl, cream the butter and sugar together. Then beat in each egg one at a time until they’re all mixed in.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Then slowly add that to the mixture making sure it’s all combined.
- Add some of the chocolate to the mixture, then some of the wine, alternating until all of it is blended.
- Pour batter into your papered muffin tins, almost all the way to the top.
- Pop those in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes and let cool.