6 Ways Illinois Residents Can Overcome the Dieting Struggle Bus
It's the beginning of a brand new year, and it seems like everyone I know (including myself) is on a mission to get their health back on track/lose some weight, but why are so many of us doomed to fail before we even begin?
Is it the overcoming allure of that delicious slice of pizza that Chicago and Illinois are so famous for? The convenience of drive-thru fast food? Let's face it, sticking to a diet can be a real struggle, especially during winter in Illinois when it is typically cold and gloomy and all you want to do is take a big, fat nap.
But why is it that diets so often end in failure? Here are a few reasons why I think most Illinoisans specifically struggle in their quest to get healthy. Consider these things what NOT to do or give in to when creating the new, healthier you.
1. Setting unrealistic expectations: We all live busy lives and fully intend to start each new year incorporating more exercise into our daily routines. We have high hopes of taking walks or going for a run outdoors each day, and then we realize we live in Illinois and it's too dang cold or sloppy to get some free outdoor cardio in. When our exercise dreams get crushed by Mother Nature, we then turn to fad diets that promise rapid weight loss, and those programs never usually end well.
2. Giving into hunger pains: Illinois is famous for many delicious, yet unhealthy, dishes like deep-dish pizza, Italian beef sandwiches, and Chicago-style hotdogs, so temptation literally exists on every corner or every street. How are we supposed to deny ourselves the pleasure of partaking in so many amazing Illinois restaurants?!?
3. Emotional eating: Sometimes we eat not because we're hungry, but because we're feeling emotional or highly stressed, and we live in Illinois, the land of high taxes and prices. Need I say more?
3 Major Reasons You Aren't Seeing Results From Dieting and Workouts
If you are determined to make 2023 THE year you get in shape and lose weight, here are 3 big things fitness experts from Fitness Volt say you DON'T want to do in your new healthy lifestyle, especially when it comes to exercise;
- Neglect Your Sleep - 7-9 hours of quality sleep is important for reaching our full potential in life, and workouts.
- Skip Meals Before Workouts - If you want to achieve the most burn and effects from your workouts, make sure you eat a small meal rich in healthy crabs before you hit the gym.
- Not Letting Your Body Rest - Sometimes we think hitting the gym every day will fast forward our results, but that's not true. Fitness experts say working out only 3 days a week is best because it allows our body and muscles time to rest, which provides the best and most long-lasting results.
KEEP READING: 15 Natural Ways to Improve Your Sleep