Metra to Chicago? Big Changes Coming to Train Schedule
In an effort to create a better user experience for residents of Chicagoland who use the Metra train system, an announcement was made today about changes that will happen this month to "better match actual operating conditions."
Changes to 2 Metra Lines Will Begin on May 30
What Metra is calling "minor adjustments" will affect some riders later this month (May 2023), but these changes are to "create service patterns that provide riders with more options," according to the press release.
Metra’s goal is to provide convenient and reliable service. We will continue to monitor performance along our all Metra lines and make adjustments to our schedules when necessary. -Jim Derwinski, Metra CEO/Executive Director
The 2 Metra lines that will be adjusting their schedules and adding stops are the UP Northwest line and the UP West line.
Changes to the Metra UP Northwest Line that begin May 30
• Inbound Trains 618, 632, 658, 662 will now all depart Des Plaines 5 to 6 mins later (on the :07s)
• Train 651 will now depart Chicago at 5:07 p.m. (2 minutes later than the current schedule)
• Train 653 will now depart Chicago at 5:05 p.m. (2 minutes earlier than the current schedule)
• Train 647 will now arrive at Harvard 6 minutes later at 6:23 p.m.
• Train 706 will now always stop at Irving Park on weekends, not just during Cubs home games
• Trains 620, 622, 624, 634, 636 will no longer use the center track platform from Palatine to Cumberland
• Trains 639, 651 will now use the center track platforms for boarding from Jefferson Park through Des Plaines
• Train 643 and 657 will no longer use the center track platform for boarding at Clybourn and Des Plaines
Changes to the UP West line begin May 30
• Train 13 has added stops at Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, and West Chicago
• Train 15 will now terminate its run at La Fox
• Trains 43 and 47 have added stops at Villa Park and Geneva
• Train 49 will now arrive in Elburn 5 minutes later at 6:30 p.m.
• All trains departing or arriving, Chicago at 7:40 p.m. or later will now stop at both Melrose Park and Maywood.
For those who are going to be on the UP Northwest or the UP West line, CLICK HERE to review the new schedules from Metra.