Places to Go to Escape the Bitter Cold in Rockford
We are now approaching the part of winter where our faces begin to freeze off and dogs refuse to do their business outside.
I think it's safe to say the entire Stateline area is getting ready to hunker down at home this weekend thanks to the ridiculously low temps and windchills on the way, but many residents don't have the luxury of a warm bed or a cozy fireplace to snuggle up to in weather like this. Thankfully there are places they can go according to the City of Rockford:
- Rockford Overnight Café - 318 N Church St., open daily from 8 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Rockford Rescue Mission - 715 West State St., open 24/7
- Carpenters Place - 1149 Railroad Avenue, Open Weekdays 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The City of Rockford also wants to remind residents that Homeless Outreach staff are always on the streets during the coldest days of the year looking for people in need of a warm, safe place to stay. If you know someone who needs help, please call the 24-hour Homeless Hotline at 844-710-6919 ext. 5.
Even if you do have a warm shelter from the storm, bad things can still happen in extreme cold. Furnaces quit. Pipes freeze. Cars break down. Here's a few cold weather safety tips from the American Red Cross that you may want to jump on today:
- Assemble an emergency preparedness kit for you car and your home.
- Caulk and weather-strip doors and windowsills to keep cold air out.
- Protect pipes from freezing by adding foam insulation of leaving cupboard doors open.
- Make sure you have extra heating fuel on hand and conserve fuel.
- Stay indoors and wear warm clothes.
- Check on neighbors and friends to make sure they are ok, especially if they are elderly or live alone.
Stay safe and warm, everybody...the next few days will likely be brutal!
Catch Lil Zim on ‘Q98.5 Mornings with Lil Zim & JB’ on Q98.5 from 6:00 a.m. to 10 a.m. Follow her on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook
TIPS: Here's how you can prepare for power outages