Fireworks Displays Happening in the Rockford Area This Weekend
The Summer of 2020 will always stick out in my mind as the summer my family broke the law by doing our own fireworks show. We didn't officially get busted by the police, but my usually-law-abiding self felt guilty/nervous the whole time I was oohing and ahhing over the fireworks going off over my in-laws yard and in their driveway. What can I say? COVID times call for desperate measures, but I'm so thankful we don't have to do a repeat this 4th of July!
Now that life is getting back on track post-pandemic, I think it is our patriotic duty to take in as many (legal) fireworks displays this year, and thankfully there's a WHOLE BUNCH of options to choose from!
Here's Where and When To Catch Fireworks In The Rockford Area This Weekend
Before I get to the good stuff, I need to give huge props to Stateline Kids for coming up with this massive list. If you know of a fireworks display that's happening this weekend that isn't included below, please send us a message and tell us about it!
- Friday, July 2nd - Shirland Fireworks - Beginning at dusk/9 p.m. from the corner of Boswell and Shirland Rd. Free to attend.
- Saturday, July 3rd - Davis Junction Fireworks and Movies in the Park - Fireworks will begin at dusk at Community Park in Davis Junction. Following the fireworks stay for a free outdoor movie, Tom & Jerry. Concessions will be available for purchase, bring your own chairs & blankets.
- Saturday, July 3rd - Amboy Fireworks Family Event - The family fun begins at 2 p.m. in Downtown Amboy featuring a bounce house, face painting, live music and more. Fireworks will begin at dusk. Free to attend.
- Saturday, July 3rd - Winnebago Fireworks - Fireworks will begin at dusk/9 p.m. from the Winnebago Middle School grounds. Winnebago's 4th of July parade will begin at 10 a.m. on Sunday, July 4th.
- Saturday, July 3rd and Sunday, July 4th - Rockford Speedway - Your family can enjoy a night of racing with a fireworks display afterwards on both Saturday and Sunday night at the Rockford Speedway. Get tickets here.
- Sunday, July 4th - Rockford's 4th of July Celebration at Davis Park - Patriotic fun begins when the gates at Davis Park open at 4 p.m. with food trucks, a beer tent, live entertainment, a children's area and more. Rockford's Patriotic Parade begins at 5 p.m. and fireworks begin at dusk/9 p.m. There is a $5 fee to enter Davis Park.
- Sunday, July 4th - Cherry Valley Fireworks - Fireworks display will begin at dusk/9:30 p.m. from Baumann Park. Cherry Valley's Patriotic Parade begins at 1 p.m. at Village Hall. Children are encouraged to decorate and ride their bikes in the parade, and everyone will receive a prize! Free to attend all events.
- Sunday, July 4th - Durand Fireworks - Fireworks will begins at dusk at Durand High School. A Fun Fair kicks off on Saturday, and continues through Sunday that includes a parade, street dance, kids events and more.
- Sunday, July 4th - Rochelle 4th of July Fest - Rochelle's 4th of July fun begins with a parade at 1 p.m., events at Cooper Park beginning at 5 p.m. and fireworks follow at dusk. Free to attend.
- Sunday, July 4th - Kirkland Fourth of July Celebration - Patriotic festivities and lots of live music begin Friday, July 2nd and continues through Sunday. Their massive fireworks display will begin at dusk on July 4th. See the complete list of events and ticket details here.
There's one more big event you need to add to your Independence Day weekend to-do list, and that is the Long Play Music Fest at Rivet's Stadium in Loves Park! Great food, drinks and live concerts (Cheap Trick, Gin Blossoms, Jeff Tweedy and more) kick off on Thursday, July 1st and continue through Sunday, July 4th. Get event details and tickets now (before they sell out!) by clicking here.