Secretary of State Driver Facilities Reopening Next Week
I'm not gonna lie, I just realized a couple weeks ago I'm driving around with expired license plates, and I'm not talking expired by a couple weeks here. I could renew them online, but with expiration deadlines extended during the pandemic, why not continue my procrastination a little longer?
Many Illinoisans have found themselves in the same situation as I am, and that is why IL Secretary of State Jesse White has announced a reopening plan for our state's driver services facilities.
Before I get into the details of this reopening plan, let me first remind you that expiration dates for Illinois driver's licenses, ID cards and vehicle registrations have been extended for 90 days after June 1st, but to control a bit of the crazy 90 days later, driver services facilities will be opening with limited services next week.
According to cyberdriveillinois.com;
- From June 1 through July 31, facilities will focus on serving ONLY new drivers, customers with expired driver's licenses/ID cards and vehicle transactions.
- All Secretary of State departments and offices will be open for business on June 1 and June 2.
- All employees are wearing face masks and customers are encouraged to do the same. Plexiglass dividers have been installed at all work stations and tape has been applied to the floor in 6-foot intervals to follow social distancing guidelines, limiting the number of customers inside a facility at one time.
There's a few other deadline extension and policy changes we need to be aware of as well according to cyberdriveillinois.com;
- The IL Secretary of State and State Treasurer have waived E-check payment processing fees through August 2, 2020.
- The Real ID deadline has also been pushed back to October 1, 2021, so current IL drivers licenses and ID cards will still be accepted at airports until then.
To locate the nearest IL Secretary of State Driver Services Facilities to you, and to double check their hours, go here.
Catch Lil Zim on ‘Q98.5 Mornings with Lil Zim & JB’ on Q98.5 from 6:00 a.m. to 10 a.m. Follow her on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook
READ MORE: See how some companies are changing their businesses to combat COVID-19