12 Thoughts I Had While Driving to Work with the Gas Gauge on ‘E’
We've all done it. Too tired, too busy, too much of a hurry or just too lazy. This time the game was different.
I love how most cars will tell you how many miles you'll get out of the gas that's in your tank. The real fun comes when the dashboard stops telling you how many miles you have left and just says your are low on gas. Every single car is different at this point when it comes to how many more miles you can go before you're hoofing it. We all know our own cars and how much we can push it at this point. But this time I was playing it a little too dangerously. Because I was driving a friend's car while mine was being repaired. This was not a wise decision, and while I knew that, I still decided to play the game and these are the 12 things that went through my mind as the 'hoofing it' was approaching.
- I should probably stop and get gas on the way home from here but I'm so tired and it's Sunday and all I want to do is go to bed early
- (passing first of 6 gas stations on the way home) There are too many cars there, I'll catch the next one.
- (passing 2, 3, 4 and 5 of 6 gas stations on the way home) I'm not stopping now, this is my jam on the radio
- (passing the last gas station on the way home) I live just around the corner, I can make it back to this gas station in the morning on the way to work.
- (waking up Monday morning) Holy crap! Why didn't I stop last night? That was so stupid. It's 4 a.m.! I'm going to be walking in the dark.
- I should probably drive really slow so I don't waste any gas. Does that even make any sense?
- I'm just going to coast up to this stoplight.
- After this light I only have like 2 miles to go, thank god it just turned green. I can see the brightly lit sign for the gas station. Almost there.
- OMG! Another red light right in front of the gas station. All I have is this left turn and I'm there. Holy F*** why is this light still red. I'm the only one on the road. IT'S 4 A.M. THERE'S NOBODY COMING IN ANY DIRECTION WHY IS THIS LIGHT STILL F***ING RED. I'm just going to run it, who cares, nobody will see it... GO! Oh s***, I'm going to get caught by a cop. Just wait, it'll be a short walk to the gas station if you run out of gas.
- Light is green... haul ass.
- Whew. I made it. I am emotionally exhausted. Thank you God for letting me make it here. I will never do this again.
- You have got to be KIDDING ME! Where's my wallet? For f***s sake.