25 Days of Desserts: Mocha Meringue Kisses [RECIPE]
The glutton inside of you will love that these meringues are only 20 calories each.
On the 8th day of December, I give you mocha meringue kisses. These are so darn cute and possibly the least caloric dessert you'll consume this holiday season.
I love making regular old drop cookies, but sometimes a plate of Christmas cookies ends up looking boring when all the circles look the same, but adding these meringues will add some cute variety to your plates.
This recipe comes from recipe.com and only take a few steps, but be sure to make sure your egg whites foam at the right speed.
- 1/3 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso coffee powder
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- In a medium bowl beat egg whites and vanilla with an electric mixer on high speed until foamy. Gradually add the granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Gradually fold in the cocoa mixture.Transfer the mixture to a pastry bag. Pipe twenty-four 2-inch kisses onto the prepared cookie sheet. (Or drop mixture by rounded teaspoons onto the prepared cookie sheet.) Bake in a 250 degree F oven for 1 hour. Cool on the cookie sheet. Remove from parchment paper.In a small saucepan combine chocolate and shortening. Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted. Drizzle the melted chocolate over cookies. Makes 24 cookies.