Time to Get Prepared for an Early Winter in Rockford
Fall is that time of year that almost everyone seems to love. The weather is gorgeous. The colors are beautiful. The outfit choices are stellar. But then...
But then comes the season most of us in the Midwest seem to loathe.....siiiiiigh. Winter. Yes I said it, that dirty little word. And this year, not only does it look like it will be colder than normal, it's also coming sooner than expected. It's going to be the kind of Winter that will make us all want to hibernate, or better yet migrate south with the geese. We should all be used to it by now, shouldn't we? It never gets any easier. There are, however, a few things you can do to better prepare yourself for the subzero temps that we are sure to endure.
- Check your furnace. Or have it inspected if your not sure what to look for.
- Replace your furnace filter. This should be done once a month.
- Make sure your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working.
- Have your chimney cleaned out so it is ready for all of those fires you will be making to keep warm for snuggling on those cold nights.
- Stock up on firewood.
- Check your insulation in your attic. Add more if needed.
- Run your ceiling fans in reverse. This will draw the cooler air upwards and keep the warmer air down.
- Install your storm windows or doors if you have them.
- Block drafts. Caulk your windows and doors or seal them off with plastic.
- Buy some warm cozy sweaters and a pair of comfy slippers. You will be needing them soon. And who doesn't need an excuse to go shopping?