Illinois Cities Dubbed ‘Most Dangerous’ in America, 2 in Top 25
Rape, murder, armed robbery, aggravated assault, and other violent crimes in these two Illinois cities ensured their placement on the US Most Dangerous Cities list.
The Most Dangerous Cities in America
First, each city on the list has a population of 25,000 or more people and the list positions are based on the number of violent crimes per 1,000 residents.
Violent crimes include rape, armed robbery, and aggravated assault.
The data used for this research are the number of violent crimes reported to have occurred in each city, and the population of each city. Based on the latest national data available at the time of publication, representing the calendar year 2021 and released in October 2022.
For 2023's list, Monroe, LA was replaced by Bessemer, AL as the number one most violent city in America. Bessemer has 33.18 violent crimes per 1,000 population. Your chance of being a violent crime victim in Bessemer is 1 in 30.
The Top 10 Most Dangerous Cities in America
1. Bessemer, Alabama (chance of being a victim of a violent crime - 1 in 30)
2. Mobile, Alabama (1 in 35)
3. Monroe, Louisianna (1 in 38)
4. Saginaw, Michigan (1 in 39)
5. Memphis, Tennessee (1 in 39)
6. Detroit, Michigan (1 in 43)
7. Birmingham, Alabama (1 in 49)
8. Pine Bluff, Arkansas (1 in 48)
9. Little Rock, Arkansas (1 in 49)
10. Alexandria, Louisianna (1 in 53)
Where do these two Illinois cities fall on the list?
2 Most Dangerous Cities in Illinois
According to the study from Neighborhood Scout, those two cities are:
16. Danville, Illinois (1 in 63)
21. Rockford, Illinois (1 in 66)
If you want to dig into the methodology and more about how they ranked the cities, click HERE.